Back on August 26th, we went to a Tchaikovsky concert at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre with my parents, my sister, and her boyfriend. We all contributed to the picnic beforehand, and our contribution was this pesto caprese quinoa salad. It was super delicious and, like most quinoa recipes, quite satisfying. I will definitely make this again.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup tightly packed basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup small fresh mozzarella balls, halved
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the dried quinoa in a medium pot filled with plenty of water. Bring the water to a boil and boil the quinoa for 10-12 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Transfer quinoa to a bowl and set aside.
- Combine the shallot, basli leaves, garlic, red pepper flakes, olive oil, and vinegar in a food processor and process for 1-2 minutes until smooth.
- Drizzle the basil vinaigrette over the quinoa and toss to combine. Add the cherry tomatoes and fresh mozzarella to the quinoa and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve immediately or refrigerate and serve at a later time.